Environmental Policy Statement
Appleton Woods Ltd will control and manage its activities to ensure risks to the health, safety and welfare of its employees, customers and the general public are identified and action taken to minimise or eliminate their effects.
Adverse effects of operational activities on the environment will be minimised as far as practicable.
The objectives of the policy are:
- To comply with its legal obligations under the current Health, Safety and Welfare Act and the Environmental Protection Act, together with all other applicable statutory provisions and relevant codes of practice.
- Raise sustainability awareness and promote responsible environmental behaviour throughout the organisation.
- To promote responsible carbon and water management.
- To promote health, safety and environmental awareness throughout the organisation.
- To maintain a safe and healthy working environment for its employees, with adequate facilities appropriate to the nature of the business activities.
- To minimise the social impact of the company activities and avoid damage to the environment through regular reviews of the business from environmental and management systems audits.
- To undertake environmental impact studies as part of any company relocation or enlargement of existing facilities.
- Ongoing programme of improvement working towards ISO14001 certification.
Appleton Woods is committed to considering the environment and our impact on the environment and to use the best environmental practices as possible.
We will undertake a programme of continual improvement in our environmental performance and to reduce our environmental impact. We will meet and where appropriate exceed all environmental legislation and regulations appropriate to our business and to our customers business. We will be committed to prevent pollution of the environment.
We will review the environmental impact of our activities on a regular basis.
All employees will be made aware of the impact of their actions on the environment and encouraged to make the right environmental decisions.
Our commitment to the environment and to recycling when and wherever possible, whether internally or in co-operation with suppliers and customers:
- Accepting orders by e-mail
- Promotion of e-marketing solutions
- Not printing e-mails except if absolutely necessary
- Double side printing where paper copies cannot be avoided
- Accepting invoices from suppliers by e-mail
- Actively encourage the E-mailing of invoices to customers or the use of e-solutions
- Working with customers to consolidate deliveries
- Marketing and promotional literature is only printed on paper from FCS controlled sources
- Collection of unwanted catalogues and unwanted printed matter from customer sites
- Re-cycling of catalogues and unwanted printed matter from internal use
- Encourage the use of on-line catalogue
- Use of e-mail for promotions whenever possible
- Re-cycling of plastics
- Collection of plastic boxes, inserts etc from customer sites
- Re-cycling of plastic containers received from suppliers
- All plastics are re-cycled through partnership with MDJ Light Brothers
- Re-cycling of plastic bags and film
- Re-cycling of packaging materials
- Re-use any packaging materials received from suppliers
- Limit re-packaging of goods for delivery to customers
- Limit the amount of plastic bags and film
- Collection of packaging materials from customer sites for re-use or re-cycling
- Purchase re-cycled packaging materials wherever possible
- Re-using pallets where possible
- Re-cycling of unwanted pallets
- Re-cycling of office waste
- Printer and toner cartridges recycled through a local charity
- Re-cycling of batteries through an approved scheme
- Mobile phones re-cycled through an approved scheme
- Paper waste re-cycled through local council collection
WEEE (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment)
- Registered with a legally approved Compliance Scheme, registration number WEE/CC00052R
- Purchasing of low CO2 emission vehicles
- Ensure our cars and vans are regularly serviced to maintain engine efficiency and reduce pollution
- Use of low resistance tyres for fuel efficiency
- Daily checking of tyre pressure
- Positive management of van delivery schedules to ensure optimum fill capacity by working with our customers to consolidate deliveries
- The use of available technology to route vans by the shortest route
- Satellite navigation systems in every vehicle
- Satellite navigation systems updated every month
- Only collecting re-cycling material when making deliveries
- Use of electronic media for management & technical information to reduce the need for printed materials
- Encouraging staff to use car sharing, cycling, walking or the use of public transport for their journeys to work and for their journeys connected to the business where practical.
- Use of tele-conferencing where practical
- Sourcing of goods and services from local companies
- Purchase of energy efficient equipment
- Use A+ rated appliances where refurbishment takes place
- Use of low energy consumption computer equipment
- Purchase of sustainable materials where possible
- Encourage good housekeeping practices
- Lighting controlled by movement sensors to ensure unmanned areas are only lit when necessary
- Where practical purchase fuels through suppliers from sustainable sources
- Reduce the loss of energy from the building to the minimum practical level
- Reduce the use of water in the building to the minimum practical level Always
Listening to and responding to the requirements of our customers.
Appendix. Carbon Management Policy
Appleton Woods acknowledges our activities have an impact upon the environment and as a company we remain committed to a policy of reducing our carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions.
In managing our carbon we will aim to:
- To reduce emissions of gases which contribute to climate
- To increase the proportion of energy generated from sustainable and renewable energy
- To reduce the need to travel and improve choice and use of sustainable travel
- To increase the understanding and awareness of our impacts upon the environment and how we can all reduce those
- Identify opportunities to reduce CO2 by:
- Making our activities more efficient
- Making our activities greener and cleaner
- Look at options to offset our unavoidable emissions using sustainable offsetting projects
- Aim to reduce our carbon emissions by 20% in 2010
- Allocate clear responsibility for achieving these policy aims
- Review our targets and policy annually
- Involve and encourage our staff to engage in environmental activities
This policy is aimed at reducing waste, increasing efficiency and identify savings whilst embedding good environmental management into our core business activities.
We will continue to work with our customers, offering strategies for greener, more efficient products and service.
According to Directive 2012/19/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 4 July 2012 on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), the APPJET pipette controller is marked with the crossed-out wheelie bin and must not be disposed of with domestic waste.
Consequently, the buyer shall follow the instructions for reuse and recycling of waste electronic and electrical equipment (WEEE) provided with the products and available as follows:
Appleton Woods is committed to seeking to reduce the impact of its activities on the environment.
In line with the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Regulations 2006, Appleton Woods is registered with WeeeCare, which is a legally approved Compliance Scheme.
Appleton Woods’ producer registration number is WEE/CC0005ZR.
WeeeCare will take on the legal responsibilities for the reporting on, the collection and treatment of, all WEEE that Appleton Woods Ltd is obligated for, ensuring that the appropriate recycling targets are met.
Appleton Woods Ltd will cover the recycling cost once it reaches an Approved Authorised Treatment Facility if you have:
- Any piece of electrical or electronic equipment that you purchased prior to 13th August 2005 and are looking to replace on a like for like basis from Appleton Woods Ltd or:
- A piece of electrical or electronic equipment purchased from Appleton Woods Ltd, after 1st April 2007, which is labelled with a crossed out wheelie bin, once it reached the end of its natural life. This relates to those items for which Appleton Woods Ltd is obligated.*
Please note that all the relevant Hazardous Waste Consignment notes and Decontamination Certificates must be correctly completed and signed off. WeeeCare will provide this documentation prior to collection.
Instructions to obtain product disassembly information or if you require any more information please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Electrical, Electronic Equipment that is private labelled for Appleton Woods Ltd, or that Appleton Woods Ltd has imported into the UK and placed on the UK market.